This game prototype is controlled with hand-based user interface (UI). UI displayed when single hand or both hands are in one of the following poses:
- placed parallel to the floor, palm facing upwards (palmar aspect)
- placed parallel to the Leap Motion sensor surface, palm facing forward (dorsal aspect)
Depending on the pose and number of hands present in sensor's field of view, one of the five possible widgets will be displayed:
- main menu - contains current time/time from start, HMD recenter, game restart and exit options
- motion controller - shows player's position against initial pose and tracking camera, direction buttons for quick rotation, toggle button for enabling/pausing locomotion system
- ring selector - used to specify destination for selected figure by constructing letter-digit coordinate point
- aim selector - similar for both hands, left for enemy figures (capture/attack), right for player's figures (select/deselect/move)
- map widget - shows positions of all figures and destination points on the level
Motion controller have simple push button interaction, while ring selector uses clockwise/counterclockwise 360-degree rotation as trigger. Aim selector uses grab gesture for selection confirmation, and main menu requires grab gesture to be performed with both hands. To select option in main menu player can move one of the hands up and another down while holding them in dorsal aspect.
This is standing experience where to move yourself player should perform a step in desired direction. Locomotion system detects 8 possible directions (as marked on the level's floor). After movement player should return to initial position (center of the cell) to re-enable locomotion system for next move. Please note that you need to have at least one meter of free space in each direction for safety reasons. If your Oculus Rift and Leap Motion cables are not long enough, you can move only forward/left/right, and use direction buttons to rotate and then move in other directions.
How to recenter headset (set initial pose):
- run the game, dismiss health and safety warning by hitting any button
- stand ~one meter away from the tracking camera while facing it and put the headset on
- place both hands in front of you, select recenter option from main menu
- perform grab gesture with both hands simultaneously, so question mark changes to arrow
- move yourself in that way so arrow will face eye icon while be at the center of UI's reticle
- perform grab gesture with both hands again
Bright/reflective surfaces like windows, white walls and furniture can affect Leap Motion controller performance, as well as long sleeves and rings. Use Visualizer with images displayed to detect possible problems.
If you receiving wrong pose for your hand or hand scale is off, move it in and out from sensor's field of view.
Video, screenshots, 360-degree panoramas can be found on the project page (itch.io): C0NFL1CT.