Reach into the future of virtual reality with the Leap Motion Controller and Orion beta software – the beginning of a brand-new platform built for VR.
To build with standard tracking, or our older VR integration, download our latest release of the V2 Desktop SDK.
Leap Motion Orion: Beta Release Notes
- Fixed an issue that caused the Leap Motion Controller to not function on Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update (build 1709)
- Although much improved, some poses are not currently tracked as well as V2; this can be seen in the form of occasional bad initialization/reinitialization, right/left misinterpretation, and some wrong poses
- The skeleton hand can shift slightly away from the hand as you move left or right; most noticeable in apps that use Image Hands and also display the skeletal hands
- Tracking may not work as well with bracelets, watches, sleeves, etc
- Although very much improved, occluded hands can still get killed at times
- Devices embedded in HP laptops and keyboards are not supported on Orion
- Hand confidence is currently always 1.0 and does not fluctuate; a new solution is on the horizon
- Tools are not currently supported in Orion
- Automatic controller orientation can in rare cases stop functioning. A Leap Motion service restart will fix this or you can manually orient the controller from the Leap Motion Control Panel.
- Tracking along the x-axis may appear slightly skewed
- Desktop mode initialization is not as reliable as HMD mode initialization
- Pausing/Resuming Tracking can cause the FPS to drop. The workaround is to disconnect and then reconnect the device to bring the FPS back to normal
- Avast! Antivirus can interfere with Leap Motion Service installation (disable shields to work around)
- The latest version of the Oculus firmware limits bandwidth for the DK2’s built-in USB port, which harms the controller’s performance. For now, we recommend using the free cable extender bundled with the mount to connect the controller directly to the computer
- Tracking performance may degrade when closely facing large reflective surfaces like white walls or infrared-reflective curtains.
- Minimized or out-of-focus applications using the HMD policy flag can affect the service state. Close such programs before switching back to non-VR apps
To start building with Orion right away, dive into our Unity documentation..
Download the Orion beta, attach the controller to your VR headset, and dive into the future. Our VR setup guide has everything you need to start your journey.
Build with Unity
Bring your vision to life in minutes with our core assets package for the Unity game development engine – including full VR/AR integration and resources for desktop developers.
Build with Unreal
Now officially integrated into Unreal Engine 4.11, the community plugin for Leap Motion gives you the power to build incredible experiences for virtual and augmented reality.